Monday, March 12, 2012

Five Trends/Styles You Abhor

mmmm...well, to start, I looked up what constitutes a trend: any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed with enthusiasm for some period, generally as a result of the behavior's being perceived as novel in some way. Okay. I can work with that.

Being thrifty
*sigh* I try to soothe my disappointments with the knowledge that I was ahead of my times, but still...it's frustrating! I have been shopping the thrift stores and garage sales most of my life. It used to be that my funky wardrobe and thrift claims were looked down on. The economy crashes, and all the sudden my favorite spots are crowded and magazines are talking about how "green" it is and the prices are soaring! WTF!

Text-ese
Thank you StormDog for naming this one, because BOY does it irritate me. This is a horrifying atrocity born out of the text-messaging technology. It drops consonants, vowels and punctuation and makes no distinction between letters and numbers in order to produce ultra-concise words and sentiments. Occasionally I will use an LOL, but omgih8 the abuse here. Unfortunately, I don't really see this being a trend...it is not going to go away...

Neon
oh lord...I survived this back in the 80s...why does NEON have to be coming back?!? The number of people who can actually pull of wearing neon colors is ridiculously few, so why...? I guess it falls into "novel"...damn it. Maybe it will be short-lived?

There's an APP for that!
Okay, I can appreciate wanting convenience and what is more convenient than a $1-10 application you can install on your smartphone to have at your fingertips when you most need it? The problem I have with the trend is the surfeit. It seems that no matter what the inconvenience is, there's an ap for that. The apps I have used include map, camera, weather. *shrug* I don't have a problem asking other people for assistance, but then I always have been weird!

Fear mongering
I am very frustrated with the paranoia that is everywhere. I have not yet banished my own annoying gnat from the back of my mind. I bite my tongue when I'm told I should lock the doors. I skirt the "child endangerment" laws because my nekkid kids haven't mastered the latch on the screen door in back, so they run around to the front when they are done making mud pies.

No comments:

Post a Comment