That is the theory I would like to suggest to the medical researchers of the world. Since not everyone is a total nerd like me, I'll try to start at the beginning. Let me know what you think.
FACTS:
Normal cells, regardless of function, reproduce by duplicating their DNA and then splitting in half. This process is called mitosis, and it is controlled by operons, a cluster of genes within the DNA. While the DNA is usually replicated exactly, sometimes a mutation occurs.
MY THEORY:
In cancer, the mutations occur within the operons that are supposed to regulate cell replication and growth. They get stuck in the "ON" position, causing the cells to replicate without purpose. They no longer specialize as "colon" cells, "prostate" cells, "brain" cells because they are forced to replicate too quickly. The result is a mass of tissue we call cancer.
********************************************************
In Alzheimer's, it is a little different. Things like brain growth, high stress, and cholesterol transportation encourage the brain to make amyloid beta proteins. The astrocytes (star-like cells you probably associate with nerve cells) are usually able to "eat" these proteins and there is no problem. In Alzheimer's patients, there are lots of "amyloid plaques"...hard clusters of the amyloid beta protein that did not break down...and "tangles"...neurons that are tangled up with protein pieces.
MY THEORY:
Like any other cell, neurons reproduce and mutations can occur. With Alzheimer's, the mutation again strikes the operons, but instead of cell replication, it is the protein regulators that get stuck "ON". Too much of the amyloid and tau proteins are produced and the astrocytes are unable to keep up. The result is the development of plaques and tangles, which cause the symptoms we call Alzheimer's disease.
*********************************************************
Note the similarities...My theory is that in both cancer and Alzheimer's, the error occurs at a point mutation in a regulatory operon. The exact function of the operon affected is different, which is why you see different diseases, but the basis for BOTH problems is mutated operon DNA.
There IS some exciting cross-over being done with cancer drugs used to treat Alzheimer's...and guess what?! There are promising results! To me, that strengthens my argument that they are the same problem, just in different areas.
I have not found anyone who has labeled Alzheimer's as a form of cancer, but I think it should be. Unfortunately, I am just a housewife with a lot of time and (out-of-date) education. I don't really know where I should take this idea. *chuckles* I shared it with my therapist, and she said "if you came up w/ this w/o a google search, i think your analytical skills are superior. no wonder why you need to dumb down your resume."
grrrr. Somehow, that isn't helpful.
No comments:
Post a Comment